Everything you need to know about Personal Training in Singapore
What is personal training with UAF?
Personal training sessions are specially designed training programmes aimed at helping you attain your fitness goals. Personal training goals may include weight loss, toning, muscle development or simply a healthier lifestyle.
Typically, a personal trainer starts off a training session by discussing with you your specific requirements, measurement of your body fat, before developing an individualised plan specially for you. As each plan is uniquely for you, there is room for flexibility. You can also choose to do the sessions with a friend or have it done one-to-one, or you can choose to train at your condo gym, or at one of our affiliated gyms without having to pay for membership fees, admin fees etc.
What are the benefits of a private personal trainer?
Some benefits of engaging a private personal trainer are:
- The personal trainer will motivate and encourage you to reach your fitness goals. In the presence of others, most of us will work harder. Having a trainer by your side will help you overcome all the excuses that you may be using to skip your exercises. If you know someone is waiting for you for your training, it’s much more difficult to skip it.
- Your private personal trainer can help you take the guesswork out of your exercise routine so that you can achieve your fitness goals more effectively. We are living in an age of Too Much Information and it can be confusing to be fit – Eat this, don’t eat that. Do this, don’t do that. Your private trainer has the knowledge to maximise your fitness routine and make it much more efficient.
- A personal trainer can help you avoid unnecessary injuries. If you’re new to training or find certain movements painful, it’s worth having a personal trainer next to you to show you the right posture and technique, and maximise your exercise outcomes while preventing injuries.
- A personal trainer is equipped with the knowledge to help you achieve your fitness goals. Whether you are training for a sports event or getting ready to climb a mountain, your personal trainer can tailor your fitness plan to match your current fitness level and meet your objectives. This also means that you are more likely to stick to the fitness programme and see the outcomes.
- A personal trainer knows when it’s time to change your fitness routine. As you age, your body will see changes and your personal trainer can identify them and adapt your programme accordingly, allowing you to retain functionality and strength.
- A personal trainer is your exercise buddy! A good private personal trainer can make training both fun and efficient.
Who might benefit from personal training?
Whether you are training for a marathon, hoping to lose a few more kilograms, or want to strengthen your body after an injury, the individualised nature of personal training makes it suitable for everyone. Moreover, each session is tailored to suit your pace so it is likely that you will stick to the fitness programme. Every fitness objective will be realistic so you get to attain your goals in a safe manner.
To maximise the outcomes of your personal training sessions, you got to feel comfortable with your personal trainer. In Singapore, you can find both male and female personal trainers and many of them list their profiles and specialty areas online. You can choose from trainers who specialise in sports performance, muscle development, fat loss, toning and much more.
I have an injury (or health problem), would I still be able to receive exercise sessions from a personal trainer?
Absolutely! Exercise is important for everyone and it is particularly beneficial for people with pre-existing or chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and hypertension.
However, if you have an existing medical condition, you need to take additional precautions. Without the right knowledge, you risk putting your body under even more stress. An experienced personal trainer is able to design a programme that takes in account your existing medical condition, thus decreasing the risk of injury when you perform exercises.
For instance, if you have an existing mild knee injury and wants to train for a run, your exercise routine should be different from someone who doesn’t have an injury. You will need specific exercises to strengthen the muscles around your knees instead of immediately training for the run like an athlete. This is where your personal trainer can make a significant difference.
What are the differences between exercising on my own and with a personal trainer?
Be it losing weight, building cheese grater abs or acquiring Hulk-like strength, everyone wants to accomplish their objectives immediately. However, these are not always achievable, and they may be discouraged and backslided if they don’t hit them.
A personal trainer will help you set realistic goals, adjust your goals as you progress and keep you on track to achieve those goals. For instance, if you want to achieve a ‘ bikini body,’ it’s not just about doing 100 crunches a day for a month. It is also about changing your diet, acquiring good lifestyle habits, combining cardio and weights to work the right muscles, and setting a realistic timeframe for achieving this.
How is UAF programmes different from other personal training programmes?
Many personal trainers in Singapore stop at exercise. The personal training programme at UAF doesn’t just start and end with an hour in the gym. The programme at UAF is a holistic one because attaining fitness is not just about working out. Fitness is a lifestyle, and hence the personal training session at UAF also includes:
– devising a diet plan that revolves around your lifestyle
– an add-on chaperon grocery shopping service to guide you on reading nutrition labels and selecting healthy foods
– an exercise programme for you when you are overseas to ensure sustained progression
– follow-ups for non-training days
UAF personal trainers are also able to conduct your training session at or near your home. Personal training sessions can be held either at your condominium gym or a gym nearest to you.