Ketogenic diet for fat loss
Hi guys, it’s me again, Derrick, today i want to share with you my knowledge about Ketogenic diet. So you may have commonly heard from colleagues and friends, i am on the ketogenic diet or “Keto”! Today i am Low or zero carbohydrates. It is very similar to Low Carb or Atkins Diet but not the same.
Ketogenic Diet eliminates carbohydrates consumption to 0 while replacing it with fats; this reduction effect puts your body in a metabolic state called KETOSIS.
When this happens, your body transforms into being incredibly efficient at torching fat, if coupled with exercise, you can take this to the next level. It converts fat into ketones in the liver, which will help fuel energy for the brain.
The ketogenic diet will result in massive reductions in your blood sugar, and insulin levels, coupled with increased ketones, has improved health benefits.
Different types of ketogenic diets
There are several versions of Ketogenic diets, depending on your goals.
- The standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a very low-carb, moderate-protein, and high-fat diet. It typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein, and only 5% carbs.
- The cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet involves periods of higher-carb refeeds, such as five ketogenic days followed by two high-carb days.
- The targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet allows you to add carbs around workouts.
- High-protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein. The ratio is often 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
- However, only the standard and high-protein ketogenic diets have been studied extensively. Cyclical or targeted ketogenic diets are more advanced methods and primarily used by bodybuilders or athletes.
The information here mostly applies to the standard ketogenic diet (SKD), although many of the same principles also use to the other versions
There are several versions of the keto diet. The standard (SKD) version is the most researched and most recommended.
Ketogenic Diets Can Help You Lose Weight
A ketogenic diet is an effective way to lose weight and lower risk factors for disease
Research shows that the ketogenic diet is far superior to the often recommended low-fat diet.
What’s more, the diet is so filling that you can lose weight without counting calories or tracking your food intake, you can eat foods that are known carbohydrates that are high in satiety which will keep you going without feeling hungry.
One study found that people on a ketogenic diet lost 2.2 times more weight than those on a calorie-restricted low-fat diet. Triglyceride and HDL cholesterol levels also improved.
Ketogenic Diets for Diabetes and Prediabetes
Diabetes is characterized by changes in metabolism, high blood sugar, and impaired insulin function.
The ketogenic diet can help you lose excess fat, which is closely linked to type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, and metabolic syndrome
One study found that the ketogenic diet improved insulin sensitivity by a whopping 75%.
Another study in people with type 2 diabetes found that 7 of the 21 participants were able to stop using all diabetes medications.
In yet another study, the ketogenic group lost 24.4 pounds (11.1 kg), compared to 15.2 pounds (6.9 kg) in the higher-carb group. The significant benefit when considering the link between weight and type 2 diabetes.
Additionally, 95.2% of the ketogenic group were also able to stop or reduce diabetes medication, compared to 62% in the higher-carb group.
Ideally, for individuals with diabetes and prediabetes you would like to add a structure with exercises or workouts in the gym coupled with the ketogenic diet to get your body to improve insulin sensitivity faster and improve your health as a whole by getting fitter and healthier also stronger. You can be off medications if your condition gets better!
It’s a win-win situation for yourself!
Other Health Benefits of Keto
The ketogenic diet originated as a tool for treating neurological diseases such as epilepsy.
Studies have now shown that the diet can have benefits for a wide variety of different health conditions:
- Heart disease: The ketogenic diet can improve risk factors like body fat, HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood sugar.
- Cancer: The diet is currently being used to treat several types of cancer and slow tumor growth.
- Alzheimer’s disease: The keto diet may reduce symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and slow its progression.
- Epilepsy: Research has shown that the ketogenic diet can cause massive reductions in seizures in epileptic children.
- Parkinson’s disease: One study found that the diet helped improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: The ketogenic diet can help reduce insulin levels, which may play a key role in polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Brain injuries: One animal study found that the diet can reduce concussions and aid recovery after brain injury.
- Acne: Lower insulin levels and eating less sugar or processed foods may help improve acne.
Foods to Avoid
Here is a list of foods that need to be reduced or eliminated on a ketogenic diet:
- Sugary foods: Soda, fruit juice, smoothies, cake, ice cream, candy, etc.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products, rice, pasta, cereal, etc.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, parsnips, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols, which can affect ketone levels in some cases. These foods also tend to be highly processed.
Avoid carb-based foods like grains, sugars, legumes, rice, potatoes, candy, juice, and even most fruits.
Create a structure to have discipline to eat what are you supposed to if you want to see the changes in your weight or physique or body fat!
Foods to Eat
You should base the majority of your meals around these foods:
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham, sausage, bacon, chicken, and turkey.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna, and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Butter and cream: Look for grass-fed when possible.
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Primarily extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green vegetables, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.
- Condiments: You can use salt, pepper, and various healthy herbs and spices
Look for recipes online to find creative dishes that is tasty and delicious, who says diet have to bland & boring. Diet should be fun and balanced while having consistency! Be creative & try different things that you like that appeal to you!
Healthy Keto Snacks
In case you get hungry between meals, here are some healthy, keto-approved snacks:
- Fatty meat or fish
- A handful of nuts or seeds
- Cheese with olives
- 1–2 hard-boiled eggs
- 90% dark chocolate
- A low-carb milkshake with almond milk, cocoa powder and nut butter
- Full-fat yogurt mixed with nut butter and cocoa powder
- Strawberries and cream
- Celery with salsa and guacamole
- Smaller portions of leftover meals
Tips for Eating Out on a Ketogenic Diet
It is not very hard to make most restaurant meals keto-friendly when eating out.
Most restaurants offer some kind of meat or fish-based dish. Order this, and replace any high-carb food with extra vegetables.
Egg-based meals are also a great option, such as an omelet or eggs and bacon.
Another favorite is bunless burgers. You could also swap the fries for vegetables instead. Add extra avocado, cheese, bacon or eggs.
At Mexican restaurants, you can enjoy any type of meat with extra cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
Have leaner protein, such as chicken breast & duck breast
For dessert, ask for a mixed cheese board or berries with cream.
Sample Keto Mealplan for 1 day
|Breakfast||Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Tomatoes or Cucumbers|
|Lunch||Chicken Breast Salad with Olive Oil and avocados|
|Dinner||Grilled Salmon, Egg & Spinach cooked|
|Breakfast||Eggs, tomatoes and basil & goat cheese omelette|
|Lunch||Smoked Salmon Salad with Olive Oil and avocados|
|Dinner||Meatballs, Cheddar Cheese and broccoli|
TOP 5 Tips To Use Ketogenic Diet to your advantage!
- Select the one that is the most suitable & adaptable to you!
- Create a structure or meal plan for a week or month!
- Find out what you like & don’t like to eat!
- Stay accountable and don’t cheat on your diet
You can use it for your fat loss goals to shred down like in 8-12 weeks for example coupled with proper resist